Friday, February 6, 2009

What it Means to Wear the "G" by Jeff Owens


Jeff Owens at the '05 UT Game (Image: Georgiadogs.com)

Jeff Owens, UGA's fifth year senior starting defensive tackle, has started a new blog called "The Real Deal," and one of his first posts is an article called "What Does It Mean to Wear the G?" It's a spectacular. Here's a highlight:
At first I did not understand what it meant; I did not know that I was not just playing for myself but for all the men that have ever worn the “G”. I tell the guys everyday that what we do here reflects on the whole program. Georgia football is bigger than any one player on the team. I asked some of my teams this same question, “what does it mean to wear the ‘G’?” Rod Battle said “playing for the ‘G’ is like competing for the United States in the Olympics. It’s my home state, a place where I’ll be forever connected to. Plus I have all the extended family members I have grown to love here."
He goes on to talk about what playing for the "G" has meant to him personally. But to cut and paste that would be to spoil it.

Damn Good Dawg.

PWD

No comments:

Post a Comment