Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Oklahoma State Game Travel Info (Part I)


Dawgs sack Ok State (Image: Hipple)

I'll have more on this later, but I wanted to give a couple of quick nuggets related to the Oklahoma State game.

A few days ago, Damon Evans told DawgPost.com that he had no interest in playing the Oklahoma State game on Thursday night. This probably squashes the last of that rumor. I'd wager that Damon's preference to avoid Thursday night games is less of an issue than the "T. Boone Factor." I seriously doubt that Boone Pickens spent $165 million to renovate Oklahoma State's new stadium just to have the grand opening on a Thursday Night.

With that in mind, the first travel advisory involves air travel. As I'm sure you know by now, there are no commercial airports in Stillwater. I've seen commenters on this site discuss flying into Dallas or Kansas City. Those folks need to crack out a map and see what a very bad call that would be.

PREFACE: Tickets to the game are available on stubhub for UGA at Oklahoma State. Some pretty decent deals are available given that face is $100.

The three closest towns with commerical airports to Stillwater are:
Oklahoma City (OKC) - 65 miles
Tulsa (TUL) - 64 miles
Wichita, KS (ICT) - 131 miles

Dallas is 272 miles away and Kansas City is 320 miles away according to the Stillwater Convention and Visitors Bureau. Delta serves all three airports and AirTran serves Wichita. Both airlines fly direct from Atlanta.

Tulsa used to be a city that you could fly into via 1 stop for under $250, but I haven't seen that fare available in a very long time. Lately, direct flights into OKC or TUL airports from Atlanta have been running $300-425 round trip. Flights to Wichita have consistently been about half that. The standard Delta best deal to ITC is $230. Airtran matches that Delta deal and occasionally has web specials for as low as $150 round trip.

As for hotel accommodations, we'll cover that later. I know that I'm staying at a Fairfield Inn about 1 mile from the stadium, and I know the Hampton Inn next door is booked. Beyond that, I don't know much. Hope this helps.

See Also:
-- Tickets: UGA at Oklahoma State
-- AJC Travel Info for 2009 UGA Schedule
-- Cowboy Gameday
-- Stillwater CVB

PWD

No comments:

Post a Comment