Monday, September 21, 2009

Herschel to Become MMA Fighter

Herschel Walker just inked a deal with the Strikeforce, a MMA league similar to (although less competitive than) UFC, to become a professional ultimate fighter.

On the one hand, Herschel is a sixth-degree blackbelt. On the other hand, he's 47 years old.

I will go in there and test myself against any 20 year old," Walker said. "I know there will be naysayers and I'm fine with that. I want to prove to people who sit on a couch and don't do anything but criticize other people that, if you're a true athlete or martial artist, you're not old until you can't get up and walk around anymore. MMA fighters are said to be some of the best athletes in the world, my plan at the age of 47 is to show the world I am still
one of the best athletes as well.
Herschel will immediately begin an 8-12 week training academy. His first fight will probably be in 2010.

There's no denying the guy is a force of nature and has kept himself in incredible shape. He's been studying martial arts for the better part of three decades, so it's not like he picked some random activity like, say, bobsledding. But he's 47! I guess if anybody can do it, he can. GATA.

If Herschel decides he wants to get into pro wrestling, he could form the GREATEST TAG TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE.

No comments:

Post a Comment