Tuesday, July 28, 2009

God Bless Bill Stanfill

That guy has more fun at Steve Spurrier's expense than any man walking the planet. GATA. Don't miss the final paragraphs in the ABH about his College Football Hall of Fame induction.

To give you an idea for what a man he was physically. Here's a story from the Palm Beach Post about the season opener for his 1973 Dolphins:
Playing injured in those days was much more the norm than it is now. But Stanfill literally left his hospital bed to play in the 1973 opener against San Francisco at the Orange Bowl.

"I'd been in Mercy Hospital for 10 days with a lacerated liver, and early that morning, the team doctor (Herbert Virgin) came to see me and said my white blood count was too high, he couldn't let me out," Stanfill recalled.

"Then at 12:15, the nurse walks in and said, 'Dr. Virgin is going to be calling.' He did and said, 'Bill, do you have your car? Drive on down to the Orange Bowl.' I went down, the team was on the field, I got taped and went out and played 18 snaps.

"We won the game and when I was cutting my tape off, I noticed I still had my hospital bracelet on, so I walked into the training room and told Dr. Virgin, 'I'll give you the honor of cutting this off.' He said, 'No, you're going back to the hospital.' I spent three more days there."
Damn. Just Damn.

PWD

No comments:

Post a Comment