Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Fever: Are You Catching It?

So, last year at this time, I had bought about five season previews, had devoured them, and couldn't wait for the season to start.  I felt like a dog with a treat at the end of my snout, awaiting my master's slight signal to flip it into my jaws.  The possibilities were boundless and I felt a feast at hand.
This year feels different.  Not necessarily the opposite of last year's frothing, but just much, much more restrained and sheepish.  Maybe it's because we really have no clue what this team will look like (the spring, after all, gave virtually no insights due to injuries) or maybe it's just that the hangover from last year still persists.  I'm just suffereing from an unjustified malaise, a resigned, stoic stare.  Am I alone?
There's a lot to look forward to: the nonconference schedule, Washuan and the freshmen, the underdog role, the renewed hate, the new faces we've been waiting to see perform.  My malaise to the coming season will break soon.  My copy of Phil Steele beckons.  Camp opens in less than a month.  We'll be rolling out some season previews shortly.  
In the meantime, I ask:  Are you as fired up as usual?  

Quinton

No comments:

Post a Comment