Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Bowl Picture

Since every Georgia fan I know is either indifferent to the Tech game, conceding defeat, or actively cheering for Tech to score in economy size bunches so the defensive staff can be lit ablaze at midfield after the game, I'm going to take a glance at the bowl picture.  If I assume death by a thousand stings Saturday, it looks like the possibilities are Memphis, Shreveport, or Birmingham.  Nashville could be a possibility, but only if we beat Tech.  Assuming South Carolina and Auburn lose this weekend, I think they are our primary competition.
Here's how the top bowls shake out: BCS - Gators and Tide, Capital One - Ole Miss, Cotton - winner of LSU and Arkansas, Outback - winner of UK and UT, Peach - loser of LSU and Arkansas, Music City - loser of UT and UK.  That leaves Auburn, the Dawgs, and the Cocks to fight it out for the lower bowls. 
If I'm the Liberty Bowl, I can select a team with a new coach, a relatively energized fanbase, and a team with the closest geographic proximity (but still requires a hotel stay) in Auburn.  I'd get a Gus Malzahn's offense against Houston, a potential offensive explosion, to draw a TV crowd.  Imagine our secondary against the Cougars.  I think I'd take Auburn in that game before I'd select Georgia, despite the head-to-head win.
Which leaves the Indy Bowl with the next pick.  If it's between us and Carolina, my guess is that we'd get the edge.  We beat them in September, they're going to likely be riding a four game losing streak, and they have been to Shreveport recently.  Plus, look at the Big 12 candidates the Indy Bowl might select.  A UGA-Oklahoma game would draw a nice TV audience, even though both teams have fallen on hard times.  I'd think a Georgia-A&M game would draw as well, just based on the name value of the two teams.  Those Big 12 teams should bring a crowd and offset the attendence problems created by the distance factor for Georgia fans.
The only real threat to this is if Oklahoma State ends up in the BCS.  Then Iowa State likely comes into play for Shreveport.  An Auburn vs. Iowa State game would have serious appeal because of Gene Chizick.  Maybe the SEC and the Liberty allow that game and Georgia goes to Memphis instead of Auburn. 
So, is a match up with Oklahoma or Texas A&M exciting enough to get you to buy a ticket?
Quinton

No comments:

Post a Comment