Saturday, December 13, 2008

Damon Evans on the Football Program

Damon talked with David Hale about the program, the defense, off field issues, and expectations. It's a good read into the way Damon thinks.

I agree with pretty much everything Damon says here. I also don't have a problem with him saying some of the things he says publicly (ie...outside of the walls of Butts-Mehre) as long as everyone inside Butts-Mehre has already heard it.

I think Damon has the right approach in managing Richt:
While Evans said the team would undergo a thorough self-evaluation at season’s end, he said he will not ask Richt to make any staff changes, but will trust his head coach to make an honest evaluation of how each coach — Martinez included — produced.

“I think (Richt) will work through what he needs to work through, and my only thing is we need to make sure my response to him is that we hold people accountable,” Evans said. “They need to take accountability for performance in their job.”
That's exactly how I would manage Richt. He's been so successful that you have to trust him to do his job in the way he sees fit. However, even successful leaders need to be reminded how they are being evaluated as they manage their subordinates.

The entire issue as I see it with our football program is simply one of expectations and accountability. Does Richt consistently expect enough from his coaches and players? Great performers want to be pushed to greatness.

I also like the goal of measuring our program against Florida's. First, I like it because everyone needs a villain. Secondly, I think Damon sees Florida's athletic department as his own measuring stick. It's an issue bigger than football. I know that he's compared his vision for our men's basketball program to the Gators. Obviously, we're a long way from his hoops vision, but it makes more sense to compare ourselves to UF in that area than UK.

Anyway...it's a good read. I'm sure it will create heated discussion from every angle.

PWD

No comments:

Post a Comment