Wednesday, August 24, 2011

On Rankings


Every year, I struggle with the continuing irony that teams many, many media people think can finish with no more than 8 wins is ranked by the media. While the polls are a necessary evil of college football, I tend to agree with Blutarsky (my most sincere apologies) that doing any type of national poll before October 1 is folly. 

So, if Georgia is that team this year, are there reasons that you see for the media and coaches to rank Georgia in the top 20?  I mean, I think we could finish with 10-11 wins.  I also think we could finish with 6-7.  I guess that is why I think pre-season polls are so difficult to deal with, especially the coaches' poll.  That one has a bearing on who ends up in the BCS games. 

Any team in the preseason top 15 or so that wins all but one game has a much better shot at a BCS game than any other team that does so.

I guess I started writing this post as a question about Georgia's ranking, so I apologize for the little rant.  I know we are the sixth or seventh ranked SEC team, but is the SEC so much better that an 8-4 SEC East team should be ranked with virtually all other 9 win teams at the end of the season? Are there reasons Georgia got the ranking love?

No comments:

Post a Comment