Monday, July 11, 2011

Georgia's Rushing Situation

After reading Quinton's post about King's departure, my first thought was there is no way Carlton Thomas has 86 career carries.  Lo and behold, Carlton had 64 rushes for 272 yards last season, averaging 4.2 yards per carry, and 22 rushes for 92 yards in 09, averaging....4.2 yards per carry.  There isn't a line in the world that would make Carlton a successful feature back in Georgia's current offensive scheme, but if he improves a little bit on that 4.2ypc while getting 20-25% of the rushing touches (7-9 rushes per game), I think I'd take that. I don't want to see him carry it more, especially if we continue to view him as a magical being that can run untouched through a line of players that outweigh him by 130 pounds, but thinking about him as a change of pace deal, I'm trending towards ok with him.

One other thing that popped up that I hadn't thought about until I looked at the stats:  Murray had 60+ non-sack rushes, averaging over 5.5ypc on those rushes. I wouldn't be surprised would love to see Aaron be a part of the change of pace, as well.  He is pretty quick and ran a bunch in high school.  We have a couple of QB keeper plays that work well, especially considering teams have to respect Murray's passing ability and the strong TE group that linebackers will have to cover.

I am not saying all is well, but factoring in what Branden Smith adds, I don't think the picture is as dire as I had feared, and it offers opportunity, through necessity, to open up the offense.

TD

No comments:

Post a Comment