Saturday, October 16, 2010

Tennessee State Champs

Not much mystery to the 43-0 homecoming victory. Georgia was surprisingly dominant against an inferior opponent for the second consecutive week. Vandy was just outmatched all day and their own mistakes didn't help them either. Despite the shutout, I'm not yet convinced that our defense is completely ready for Kentucky, UF, Auburn, and Tech (well, maybe UF). Our run defense was good and there weren't a bunch of broken tackles, but Vandy also dropped a bunch of passes. We still have some work to do on pass defense.

Otherwise, I thought Aaron Murray just kept on chugging. You can see the guy getting better every week. This week's lesson was throwing the ball away in the red zone with the clock ticking down. Good veteran move. (Why did he need to do that? Because we used all of our time outs in the first six minutes of the first quarter. Does Richt need to consult Homer Smith again?) I thought I saw an open A.J. Green outright drop a pass and Blair Walsh miss a 31 yard field goal, but I know both of those things are impossible.

Overall, Vandy was the perfect homecoming opponent. There's little about the Dawgs' play one can legitimately complain about.

It's not about the game per se, but I do have a very legitimate complaint about what I heard during the game. Dave Neal and Andre Ware made a few of the most stunningly boneheaded comments during the game that I can recall a broadcast crew saying. First, on the botched Vandy snap, Dave Neal said a possible result of the review could be that Vandy would get the ball on their 20. Uh, how? It was either a Georgia touchdown or a safety. How could Vandy get the ball in that situation? Please explain to me. Next, when Aaron Murray almost got his face knocked off on a scramble, Andre Ware says something like "that was close to helmet-to-helmet contact." Close? The Vandy D-lineman, using nothing but the crown of his helmet, attempted to knock Murray's facemask up his nose. The ONLY contact was helmet-to-helmet. Lastly, I just chuckled when Ware said Georgia might have been flagged for "roughing the passer" when they sacked the Vandy quarterback. At least "Nomar Morano" didn't make an appearance.

When I watch games, I can push the SAP button to hear the Spanish announcers. Why can't I push the same button to turn off any commentary? I want to hear the crowd and the band, but I don't want to hear anyone talking to me. Can someone help me here?

Quinton

No comments:

Post a Comment