Monday, September 27, 2010

I Can't Wrap My Head Around...

You can measure the worth of most non-government subsidized items by demand.  How badly would someone else want that item?  I know almost everyone is unhappy with our assistant coaches right now and for good reason. In particular, many are unhappy with the job that Stacy Searels is doing with our offensive line.

But here's the thing.  Stacy Searels is by far the most accomplished assistant coach on this staff.  He built two national championship offensive lines for LSU.  He coached the 2003 unit under Nick Saban, and he recruited, taught and developed the 2007 line from scratch that Les Miles took to a national title the year after Searels left for Athens.

Searels is a guy that Nick Saban tried to hire in 2007, and Gene Chizik made a run at him last year to return to his alma mater.  If Georgia were to let Searels go at the end of the season, he would only be unemployed for about 30 minutes.

And...his players are the most experienced unit on the team and one of the more seasoned groups in the nation.  Clint Boling (Sr.) and Chris Davis (RSr.) have started over 35 games each.  Cordy Glenn (Jr.) and Ben Jones (Jr.) have started over 25 games each, and Josh Davis is a fifth year senior with 10+ starts under his belt.

So my question boils down to this...How on earth could our most accomplished coach who is leading our most experienced group deliver a unit that is by far the worst on the team?  I've been a Dawg fan for 20 years, and I've attended well over 200 games in person.  In that time, I don't think I've ever seen us produce an offensive line of this gross ineptitude.  I can't speak for that 1990 team but I don't remember anything as terrible as this since then.

Even the 2003 OL which started 3 Freshmen (two of whom were badly injured all season) and 2 sophs was better than this unit.  How is that possible?

As a fan, I simply can't put my head around it.  I've never seen a team that had coaching and personnel continuity like our offensive line regress in such catastrophic fashion.

If Searels can reach this group...or bench some of them...you would think this season can be salvaged to some measure.  If he can't, a long season will get a lot longer.

PWD


(As for Bobo...the play calling is bad and so is the scheme.  But every play looks better when it's blocked.  I have thoughts on Bobo that I'll share later, but it's nothing ground breaking.  Everyone knows the play calling is a hot mess.)

No comments:

Post a Comment