Friday, April 2, 2010

Fox gets his man. Recruit #3 commits

Sherrard Brantley committed to play basketball for the University of Georgia last night. The 6'2" sophomore shooting guard from Northwest Florida C.C. announced the commitment on his Facebook page. Brantley picked UGA over LSU and Creighton. Spring signing period begins April 14th.

The remaining big fish for Coach Fox is Dwayne Polee of LA.

Additionally, the AJC had a pretty strong profile of Fox yesterday on the one year anniversary of his hiring. Here are some excerpt quotes:
"When I interviewed, I believed Georgia could be a place you could win. Now, after being here, I know you can win here."

The past year has affirmed, he said, what he perceived to be the advantages of the job: high quality of life, rich recruiting region, a strong and respected league, a supportive administration. And he believes the year brought enough success, including signature wins over Tennessee and Georgia Tech, to build upon, particularly in recruiting.

"We needed to create some momentum for our program and we needed to win a few games and we needed to establish credibility," Fox said. "I think people can see a future for our program. I think we have momentum. I think people see how our players have developed. I think there are a lot of positives we can use in recruiting."
I had a great conversation yesterday with someone that follows the program very closely. We were discussing whether or not Hewitt sticking around helps or hurts UGA given that he's such a dynamic recruiter.

During the conversation, I asked aloud..."I wonder if Hewitt will recruit so well now that there's finally a viable alternative in state? It's not like Felton was a viable option." There's so much upside to this program. It really excites me.

See Also:
-- Georgia gets hoops commitment -- AJC
-- Fox's first year on the job: Fast and Promising - AJC

PWD

No comments:

Post a Comment