Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Auburn Blogger Hates Freedom, Liberty and Puppies


Earlier this week, I posted a note regarding Auburn's Brad Lester and his defiant, screaming claim that the Auburn Tigers would maul Georgia to tiny pieces and poop out our remains like so many undigested bits of walnut candy.

Jerry Hinnen (a known communist and felon*) at the Auburn blog "Joe Cribbs Car Wash" felt that I might have overstated Lester's comments by using the word "prediction" to describe the original quote in question. Hinnen scolded me saying:
"But is [Lester's comment] a prediction, a guarantee, or any kind of promise? No, it is not. If we win, Lester says. We should beat both teams, he claims. If and should do not mean the same thing as when and will. (snip)

Unfortunately, this didn't keep Paul Westerdawg from curiously titling his post in response. (snip)

It's the mainstream media's job to take athletes' quotes and stretch their meanings beyond the breaking point of truth in the exalted holy name of Hype. I suggest you let them handle it."

Well sir, I would like to defend myself. Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief.

The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules of journalistic integrity or took liberties with the English language.

We did.

But if a blogger can't make hyperbolic and barely substantiated claims against his rivals while posting in his boxer shorts and drinking bourbon by the fist full, then haven't the terrorists already won?

And furthermore, you can't hold one blog responsible for the collapse of the integrity of the entire blogosphere. Why if you do, shouldn't we also blame the entire Internet?

And if the entire Internet is to blame, then isn't this an indictment of our American society in general?

I put that to you Jerry Hinnen. You can question my blog, but I won't sit here and read your comments bad mouthing the United States of America.

Gentlemen. I'm leaving.

PWD



*Obviously not true.

No comments:

Post a Comment